Dena’ina Wellness Center (DWC) was notified on Saturday, March 28th, by the Alaska State Public Health Laboratory of its first positive case of COVID-19. The person was tested at DWC earlier this week.
The Kenaitze Tribal Council and Tribal Administration wish to assure its Tribal Members, Employees and our community that the guidance and mandates of Federal, Tribal, State and public safety agencies are being followed to ensure your health and safety. Adherence to these mandates by everyone is a must as we work together to STOP THE SPREAD of COVID-19 in our community.
Watch for these symptoms:
- Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
- These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure(based on the incubation period of MERS-CoV viruses).
- Shortness of breath
- Sudden loss of taste and smell
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19, get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
- This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
Take the following steps to further STOP THE SPREAD:
- Practice good hand hygiene – This includes washing your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching people and things as much as possible and avoid touching your face as much as possible.
- If you are coughing or sneezing, do so into your elbow instead of your hands.
- Use a hand sanitizer containing at least 60 percent alcohol when hand washing is not possible.
- If you are sick, stay home!
- The CDC recommends at least six (6) feet of distance to help prevent the spread of germs.
For up-to-date information on Federal and State mandates, please refer to the following websites:
If you or your family member develop any of the above symptoms, please call the Dena’ina Wellness Center at 907-335-7500 before entering DWC. Staff will then work with you to decide the best course of action.
Be Safe and Be Healthy! Chiqnik!